A doula is a non-medical birth assistant who supports women before, during, and after childbirth, as well as her spouse and family, by providing physical assistance and emotional support.
As a doula, I am your and your partner's support person during pregnancy, labour and post-birth so you can experience an empowered birth. Every pregnancy and birth is different. As your doula I will assist, support and guide you and your partner with my experience and knowledge and make sure you and your family feel strong, nourished and well informed at all times.
Women who work with me feel strong, nourished, supported and informed. In the post-partum period, I offer recovery and lactation support.
Examples of what a doula does
- Meet with you several times to connect and build a strong and caring connection so you and your partner feel supported by me.
- Speak with you about your wishes and hopes for your labour, birth and postpartum.
- Help you write your birth plan if you choose to have one.
- Answer your questions as they arise, no matter how many - I am here to answer them.
- Show your partner how you are best supported during labour (massage, positions etc).
- I can lend you books and DVDs so you can educate yourself further and learn more about birth and the post partum time.
- Debrief previous births, if this is not your first birth.
- Explore your birth options.
- Help you with your health and nutrition.
- Talk and help you with your worries and anxieties.
- Massage, hip squeeze, rebozo, make you a bath etc to make you as comfortable as possible
- Support you and your partner and answer all your questions as they arise
- Keep you hydrated and fed (with the right foods and drinks) during labour
- Guide your partner (and other family members) to best support you
- Keep you moving and resting according to your need and stage in labour
- Help you stay in line with your wishes and goals for your desired labour
- Notify and update our friends and family of your progress if you wish
- Stay with you after the delivery of your baby to ensure you baby has begun breastfeeding
After you have given birth:
- Help you with breastfeeding and baby care at home.
- Help you settle into the new way of life.
- Answer your questions.
- Debrief the birth.
- Support you through potential emotional changes.
- Show you slings and belly support as needed.
My doula service package:
We always start by having a complimentary 1st meeting to see if I am the right doula for you
- Two pre-birth visits in your home. I will help you write your birth plan, speak to you about all things birth and health related, and ensure you get all your questions and worries answered
- Frequent phone and email/text message contact
- On call from 38 weeks
- I supply you with the Labour TENs machine, so you don't have to rent one.
- Birth (unlimited)
- Two post birth visits inc. lactation support and nutrition support
How much does a doula service cost?
Price: $1,500 (Can be paid in instalments. Private health fund rebates available)
Additional doula services
- Baby blessing ceremony
- Placenta encapsulation
- Lactation advice
- Herbal medicine and nutritional consultations
- Books and educational material
You can start by completing the enquiry form below - I will then be in touch shortly so we can have a chat and see if we are a good team together